We all know that "the dose makes the medicine" - if it is more of an ingredient, it can be harmful, if it is less, it can have no effect, but in the right amount we will get only the benefits. They are, in this case, for the winemakers, and you can safely enjoy a Riesling with sulphites, because they know what they are doing and all doses are in absolutely harmless limits. However, it is good to know:


- Sulphites appear after conversion of sulfur dioxide or sulfuric acid and added to the wine. They have a preservative effect and protect them from oxidation or microbiological problems.

- Sulfur dioxide & ndash; it is a gas that can be imported into the wine, either as a sulfuric acid and potassium metabisulphite. With the second one containing 50% sulfur dioxide. Sarstic acid is a form of sulfur dioxide. In 1 l there is usually 60 g of sulfur dioxide.

- Sulfur & ndash; pure sulfur, a solid chemical with yellow crystals, there is no wine. It is sometimes mistaken for its presence, but it is used only for the vines.

Each wine contains sulphites. They are a by-product formed during yeast development during fermentation. There are, however, wines that have no added sulphites - biodynamic, organic or natural. There is a disagreement between the American definition of organic wines that prevents sulphites and that of the EU and Canada they allow.

It is important for you that even when the sulphites are allowed and labeled on the label, wine growers strive to use them at levels lower than those regulated. There are vinification processes that allow this.

Finally, the sulphites in wine are, at times, less than the majority of packed foods and thousands of times the dried fruit. It is now official that they have nothing to do with headaches in some people and even less with a hangover - you know, the quantity you drink is a factor for it. A small number of people (believed to be about 1%) may have an allergy and this makes the inscription "contains sulphites" helpful.